Design Manual Overhaul 2021
The Planning and Urban Development Department is reviewing and revising the City of Portland Design Manual. The project will reformat and where needed, create new standards, in order to:
- Create more consistent standards across the city where current standards are duplicative or unclear;
- Simplify and clarify the content of the standards for easier interpretation;
- Ensure the standards are encouraging design outcomes that align with city policies; and
- Create a more accessible and user-friendly document.
Watch this space for event updates, document drafts, and ways to be involved!
Design Manual Draft – Public Comment Period #1 (4/2 - 4/25)
Staff from the City of Portland Planning and Urban Development Department invite the general public to review and comment on the draft Design Manual document. Members of the public can read the draft of the first three sections (Administration, Process, Context) and leave comments and feedback directly in the document as well as see comments from others by using an interactive online civic engagement tool. For reference, a redline version of the current manual is provided in the Related Documents, to show what content is being kept or revised from the current manual.
We particularly welcome feedback on document usability and the effectiveness of the illustrations and graphic design.
There will be additional opportunities to review and comment on other sections as they are developed in the future.
The design manual overhaul process will commence January 2021 with a kick-off meeting to present the project and hear community input on the design review process and design outcomes in Portland.
Draft documents will be posted online for public comment on content and graphic design periodically throughout the process, and Planning Board workshops will be held in spring 2021 to review and provide feedback on proposed changes prior to adoption. There will also be a working group to provide detailed input on document revisions and draft content throughout the process.
- WORKING GROUP MEETING #4 (5/26/21): 2:00-4:00pm via zoom link
- WORKING GROUP MEETING #3 (4/7/21): View the recording here with passcode +J?6@kwE
- WORKING GROUP MEETING #2 (3/11/21): View the recording here
- WORKING GROUP MEETING #1 (2/25/21): View the recording here with passcode mDB!1uAm
- KICKOFF MEETING (1/14/21): View the recording here with passcode 5Ag*NE88 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>